Ice is amazing. I can’t tell you how many times in the past year I have asked, “Have you tried putting ice on that?” Ice can be used for so much more than just bumps, bruises, strains, and sprains…
Just the other day, my 8 year old son came to me complaining of a stomach ache that had him doubled over in pain. I told him to lay down just to see if his stomach needed to settle. This did not help at all, so I asked him if he was willing to see if putting an ice pack on his stomach would help. I asked because I had never suggested that to him before for a stomach ache. He agreed. When I came up to his room with the ice, he was on his stomach, clearly in pain. He rolled onto his back, and the moment I put the ice pack on his stomach he relaxed. The relief was instant. I didn’t even need to ask him if that helped. I knew it did, and he knew that I knew it did. His stomachache dissappeared completely within the hour.
When to just put some ice on it…
- The obvious….acute injuries like sprains, strains, bumps, and bruises.
- Stomach aches with bloating and gas.
- Stomach aches after long runs. (I used to get terrible stomache aches after long hard runs, and ice was the only thing that provided relief.)
- Stomache aches from the stomach flu (obviously this won’t cure the stomach flu, but it decreases the discomfort).
- Headaches… ice on the back of the neck or on the forehead.
- Allergic reactions…..my son gets hives after playing in the grass. Ice reduces the redness and itchiness. Sometimes the rash will go away completely.
- Bug bites. Ice is my #1 remedy for extremely itchy bites.
- Stings. Ice reduces swelling and numbs the pain.
- Oral allergy syndrome. Five years ago I had a severe allergic reaction to watermelon. I took one bite, and my throat started swelling shut. Sucking on an ice cube eased the discomfort and may have reduced the total time of the reaction. (Ice reduces swelling…)
- Mild aches and pains from training. Icing after a hard run or race helps speed up my recovery time.
I will keep adding more to this list as I discover more Ice Hacks!