Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k Recap

I am a creature of habit, comforted by the routines I have created.  An early riser.  A person with a plan.  I’m the one who wakes other people up, because I know their phone died in the middle of the night.  I do not sleep in.  And I most certainly do not sleep in on race day.  Or so I thought.

I woke up at 3:30 a.m. Saturday morning.  One hour before I had to get up.  However, during that one hour, I managed to fall back into a deep sleep.  Much later, I woke up to light shining through my windows.  I heard my phone making the faintest ‘beep beep’, ‘beep beep’.  A sorry attempt to wake me up.  I looked at my phone.  6:30.  What?  6:30?  I jumped out of bed and created a whole new routine.  Contacts, clothes, eat two bites of cereal, drink three sips of coffee and some water, grab my race bib, phone, watch, safety pins, water, and GO.

I made it to one of the parking garages at the Shops at Legacy at 7:20.  After I parked, I felt like I could breathe again, but my brain was still trying to catch up.  Three sips of coffee didn’t cut it.

For my warm up, I ran from my car to the race site and then on the course, totaling 1.5 miles.  Then I did some 100 meter strides and jogged towards the start.  ‘Here goes nothing.’

I saw some runners that I knew from the Plano Pacers and other Dallas area races.  We talked for a few minutes before the start which helped me settle into race mode.

The race started at 8:00.  I went out at a 6:00/mile pace, quickly backed off, and settled in with a group of runners.  Everything felt off, tired, and tight.  Miles two and three were a fight.  There were no other female runners near me, so I focused on hanging with a couple of men running my pace through mile two.  I passed one runner at the beginning of mile three and the other runner right before the uphill dash to the finish that I didn’t see coming.  I thought for sure that he would surge up the hill to finish in front, but I held my place and crossed the finish line ahead of him.

1st Overall Female!  Third win in a row!

Photo by Cortney Haney

After the race, I talked with friends, completed my 2 mile cool down, found my car, and accepted my award.  I felt good about the morning.  The chaotic start challenged me in a way that I am not used to, and everything worked out.  At 10:30, I climbed in my car, relaxed, and drove to Starbucks!

Thanks for reading!  Like!  Share!  Follow!  Comment!



  1. Your unusual morning is my norm. So glad it came together and gave you an awesome “start” to your run. Congratulations on the win for a triple! I love following your story.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s